Contract Type: Fixed Term – 12 months (extendable)
Salary: £ 18,500 net per annum + Competitive Benefits Package (Please note this post also currently attracts an additional allowance of £3,000 net per annum)
A media expert with a passion for Oxfam’s work is needed to help support our high profile Sudan programme.
A truly diverse post, generating global media interest in issues affecting the lives of Sudan’s poorest people, from one of the world’s largest humanitarian crises in Darfur, to rural livelihoods in Red Sea State and post-conflict development needs in Southern Sudan. You will lead on activities including:
• Finding new and innovative ways to attract international media coverage;
• Building relationships and raising Oxfam’s profile with Sudanese national media;
• Sharing information and analysis to support the work of Oxfam teams in Sudan and around the world;
• Producing materials for use on Oxfam’s websites and campaigns;
• Acting as Oxfam’s spokesperson for radio, TV and press; and
• Responding to a highly complex, challenging and rapidly changing working environment.
Oxfam’s Sudan programme currently assists around 700,000 people across the country, and employs a team of approx 550 staff. As well as leading Oxfam’s external communications, the post holder will be expected to develop and produce new ways to engage our internal audience. The post holder will also act as a link between events in Sudan and the international media, turning real experiences of our staff and beneficiaries into stories for a wider audience. To achieve this effectively, regular field visits will be made with exposure to all areas of Oxfam’s work within Sudan.
This position is a complex media role, involving data analysis, strategic thinking, networking, and information gathering across a vast geographic area. To achieve this the successful candidate will need a wide range of skills and substantial experience of building relationships with media organisations, writing professionally worded articles for publication, and knowledge of how to access different media markets. The candidate must have excellent attention to detail, must be a strategic thinker, have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines.
The successful candidate must have excellent written and spoken English. Written and/or spoken Arabic would be of great benefit.
1) Public Information work related to Darfur (50%)
– Sustain public and decision maker interest in the ever-changing humanitarian crisis in Darfur. This will include developing media tools and vehicles; pitching stories; vigorous networking with media outlets; and close coordination with Oxfam GB and Oxfam International regional and global communication posts.
– Attract and shape new attention to Darfur crisis through new/alternative media outlets and through innovative tactics. This will include influencing the public and decision makers in target countries to take steps to alleviate the humanitarian crisis and suffering in Darfur.
– Serve as one of the public spokespersons for Oxfam GB in Sudan, giving on and off-record interviews.
2) Public information work related to the rest of Sudan (20%)
– Raise public awareness of and influence decision makers to act on Oxfam priorities in relation to sustainable peace, the right to assistance and protection and the need for essential services in Sudan. This will include identifying and developing relationships with journalists interested in Sudan-wide issues.
– Raise public awareness of and interest/engagement in Oxfam’s programs and advocacy asks in Sudan. This will include developing messages on each of Oxfam’s programs and advocacy priorities in Sudan including gender.
3) Develop and implement a Sudanese Media & Communications Strategy targeting national media outlets (15%)
– Raise public awareness and the profile of Oxfam programs in Sudan and Oxfam’s work worldwide. This will include overseeing the identification of and building relationships with Sudanese media outlets/journalists; pitching stories on Oxfam programs to local media outlets; developing tools/vehicles/methods of raising awareness of INGO work and adherence to humanitarian principles; and liasing with the Cairo office to develop English and Arabic vehicles for Arab media.
– Work with partner INGOs to raise public awareness and understanding of INGO work in Sudan and humanitarian principles.
– Raise awareness of Oxfam’s priority issues and guiding principles among staff.
– Provide support to field offices in developing and implementing local media and communications strategies.
4) Other (15%)
– Monitor, compile and edit Darfur security information and situation reports until other staff is able to assume these responsibilities.
– Track, record and if needed analyse impact of Oxfam program and advocacy work in media for M&E purposes and to include in reports to donors.
– Work closely with OGB strategy, policy, advocacy, communications and information team to develop and implement advocacy and communication strategy, including attending weekly team meetings and larger evaluation and planning meetings.
– Work with the team to assess and adjust information and communication strategies, job profiles and processes to meet evolving needs.
– Work closely with the Sudan Strategy Coordinator, consultants and the Information Officer to ensure products are timely and appropriate.
– Attend appropriate UN or INGO meetings.
The above profile will demand up to 40% travel, primarily within Sudan (Darfur, East, South Sudan, Khartoum State) and some international travel to planning and coordination meetings.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
– Commitment to Oxfam’s purpose and mission.
– High degree of skill and proven experience in journalism or other communications background.
– Demonstrable training and/or understanding of humanitarian relief and development work and principles.
– Proven ability to work under harsh conditions and travel to conflict and post-conflict areas.
– Ability to manage, analyse, synthesize and communicate complex and fast-moving information.
– Interest in and ability to communicate with, build relationships with and earn trust of diverse staff and beneficiaries.
– Confident representation skills and ability to influence.
– Keeps up to date with internal or external activities, which may influence role.
– Consistently produces excellent creative and innovative work
– Sets standards for others to aim for
– Opinions sought by Team Leader and / or Managers
– Seen as an authority and expert in their field, and a role model for peers and fellow team members.
– Excellent communicator who leads in building relationships with key external/internal contacts.
– Able to think conceptually and provide innovative solutions
– Manages projects, and may help co-ordinate the project team
– Exercises significant judgement in managing own workload
– Provides specialist communications advice/training/support to Team, Dept & Organisation
– Effective people management skills, where applicable, and interpersonal skills, particularly in motivating and influencing others.
– Proven experience in the non-profit or NGO field.
– University degree in related fields of relief, development, international relations and/or communications.
If you believe your skills and competencies match this job profile, then please apply online at www.oxfam.org.uk/jobs using Ref INT2992. The closing date for applications is 13th October 2008.