Organisational unit: Pre-media Unit, Documents Section, Division of Conferences, Languages and Documents, Sector for Administration
Duty station: Paris, France
Post number: ADM-381
Closing date: 28 July 2008
Main responsibilities Under the authority of the Director of the Division of Conferences, Languages and Documents and the direct supervision of the Chief of the Documents Section, the incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Manage the Pre-Media Unit, coordinate and direct daily desktop publishing (DTP) and pre-press operations by scheduling and assigning work to ensure the timely delivery of output needed for publications and documents production. Organize and optimize the internal workflow with respect to the other end-users of the media, especially concerning web publishing and archiving issues.
- Advise and consult clients, on the most appropriate as well as most cost-effective method of producing their production requests, taking into account the internal capacity and external solutions.
- Perform and advise on graphic design and typography to create a variety of graphic products for various dissemination in print and other medias, with respect of the established visual identity of the Organization.
- Keep aware of new technology in the graphic industry, particularly DTP and digital pre-media technology, in order to provide proposals on replacement and upgrading of outdated equipment or software. Provide technical advice and specifications concerning graphic supplies/equipment taking into account ecological considerations.
- Use a variety of software applications to control stock usage, plan production, calculate and evaluate costs. Prepare staff and work schedule for weekend and overtime; plan overtime hours when required. Evaluate the performance of the staff members of the Pre-media Unit.
- Advanced degree degree in the field of media production, graphic industry or a related field.
- At least four to seven years of relevant professional experience, of which preferably 2 years at the international level, in pre-media production and management.
- Experience with functional graphic design and typography. Relevant experience with Microsoft Office and DTP software packages. Good experience with digital pre-press environment. Experience with MIS systems, related to digital document workflows.
- Good interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills. Good organizational, coordination and supervisory skills. Ability to work as a part of a team, to take initiative and to provide quality and timely support and services.
- Flexibilty to adjust work shedules and priorities, including night shifts and weekends.
- Excellent knowledge of French or English and good knowledge of the other language.
Conditions of employment:
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars but mainly paid in local currency. They consist of a basic salary and a post adjustment which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates. For this post, the annual remuneration in local currency will start from around €65,600 (€61,200 if without dependants), exempt from income tax. In addition, UNESCO offers an attractive benefits package including 30 days annual vacation, home travel, education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. The initial appointment, which is for 2 years, includes a probationary period of 12 months, and is renewable, subject to satisfactory service. Worldwide mobility is required as staff members have to serve in other duty stations according to UNESCO’s job rotation policy. UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
How to apply:
When applying for UNESCO vacancies, please only use the on-line recruitment system at
www.unesco.org/employment. Candidates without access to Internet may send a paper application by completing the official UNESCO CV form (available at Headquarters, UNESCO Offices, National Commissions in Member States, or any office of a United Nations Resident Representative) in English or French to Chief, HRM/RCR, UNESCO, 7 place de Fontenoy, 75352 Paris 07 SP, France, before the closing date, quoting the post number: ADM-381.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of UNESCO and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: Recrutweb@unesco.org.