REGIONAL PROGRAMME DIRECTOR (SOUTHERN CONE OFFICE)
Localidad Brasilia, Brasil
Fecha límite de postulación 27-Mar-09
Categoría adicional Gestión
Tipo de contrato 200 Series
Nivel de puesto L-5 (ICS-12)
Idiomas requeridos: Inglés y Español
The UNIFEM regional office in Brasilia is one of the four sub-regional offices of UNIFEM Latin America and the Caribbean. It covers the following countries in the Southern Cone region: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay. With a portfolio of approximately 6 million US dollars, the Sub-regional Office (SRO) is also the hub of intense regional activities and as such ensures direct interface with regional institutions such as MERCOSUR and ECLAC.
The UNIFEM Regional Programme Director (RPD) is in the front line contact for UNIFEM. She/he is the manager of UNIFEM’s programme and is an integral part of the UN Country Team under the leadership of the Resident Coordinator.
Deberes y responsabilidades
Under the general direction of the Executive director of UNIFEM and reporting the Chief of the Latin America and the Caribbean section, the Regional Programme Director will ensure the following duties and responsibilities with specific political, technical and managerial functions :
Programme Development and Management
* Provide leadership in the development of the strategic vision for UNIFEM programming in the sub region as a whole in the individual countries.
* Participate in corporate programme exercises designed to set UNIFEM’s programme directions
* Monitor development in the region in terms of trends directions and issues with regard to gender equality and women Human rights as a basis for UNIFEM»s programme.
* Prepare, implement and monitor UNIFEM financed activities in order to assist in the development of national capacity for attention to gender issues.
* Manage all aspects of programme implementation
* Supervise information collection and dissemination for use by UNIFEM’s information programme and provide support for any other advocacy initiatives.
The Regional Programme Director is accountable for integrity, transparency and equity in the management of UNIFEM financial and human resources in the Regional Office including:
* People Management: In collaboration with the Human Resources Center, and in line with the UN and UNIFEM rules and the RPD will ensure effective management of staff in the regional office and country offices which are ambit of the sub-regional office. The RPD will also provide support to staff supervised by him/her such that they meet their development needs meeting the needs of the UN.
* Financial management: In line with the principles of the delegation of authority, the RPD ensures proper financial management of and accurate and timely reporting on UNIFEM’s resources
* Strategic management: Providing strategic and data inputs into UNIFEM programme activities, including budget preparation exercises for UNIFEM.
* Matrix Management : By ensuring products and results, handovers and consultations are prepared; effective and efficient management of partnerships with government and NGO partners.
* Build strong relationships with government of countries in the sub region
* Negotiate and collaborate with bilateral donors, international foundations and corporations on securing funds for UNIFEM programmes.
* Assist in securing voluntary contributions to UNIFEM from countries within their region or sub-region
* Promote a positive and accurate image of UNIFEM in the region, through participation in policy and programme fora
* Foster collaboration among governments, UN and donor agencies on gender issues
* Build strategic alliances with women’s organizations within the region in order to support their work and to create visibility for the issues being pursued by the organizations.
* Provide support for a gender sensitive UN country-level programming process
* Provide support to the UNCT to mainstream gender within the programmes of all agencies, and to ensure appropriate follow-up to the implementation of all international Policy framework related to Gender Equality and women Human rights including the Beijing Platform for Action of the Fourth World Conference on Women, CEDAW, the African protocol on Women Human Rights, RES 1325, either directly or by providing technical backstopping to other UN staff.
* Collaborate with other regional directors and officers in any joint planning and programming exercises to ensure UNIFEM perspective and needs are being met.
* Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
* Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNIFEM
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
* Treats all people fairly without favouritism
* Has substantive and demonstrated professional depth in the area of women’s human rights
* Has knowledge of UNIFEM and the UN System
* Has proven ability to advocate and provide policy advice
* Strong management and conflict resolution skills, with ability to coach, mentor and develop staff; proven record of building and managing and evaluate staff.
* Demonstrated competence in resource mobilization and fundraising.
* Demonstrated ability to use knowledge management strategies to promote effective decision-making, and a coherent approach to policy making, and intra/inter-organizational collaboration, applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of UNIFEM
* Ability to lead strategic planning, change processes, results-based management and reporting
* Ability to lead formulation, oversight of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes
* Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
* Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills, including ability to convey complex concepts to different stakeholders in a clear and concise style
* Outstanding coordination skills, with ability to manage activities concurrently, work under pressure, and to tight deadlines
* Excellent interpersonal skills, able to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment
* Displays a high level of respect, diplomacy and tact when dealing with government officials, donors and other stakeholders
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
* Advanced degree in social sciences and /or any relevant disciplines related to international development or international relations, international legal studies, human rights, gender equality and women’s human rights.
* A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience for work focused on, or strongly involving a focus on gender equality at national, regional and international levels, including 5 years of field experience with an international organization.
* Experience of working in the Latin American and Caribbean region is desirable
* Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
* Working knowledge of French and Portuguese desirable.
Para postular: http://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?job_id=7122