Fulltime contract for one year (with possibility of extension)
Oxfam Novib (ON) is based in The Hague, The Netherlands. In order to lead, coordinate and ensure implementation of the Oxfam International-program related to humanitarian emergency response, rehabilitation and conflict transformation issues we have 6 field offices. The duty station for this vacancy is:
Field Office in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, based in Jerusalem, Single posting
Purpose of the job
To contribute to strengthening the humanitarian programmes of Oxfam Novib and its local partner organizations in a context of chronic emergency with occasional emergency peaks, and to contribute to coordinating and ensuring quality of Oxfam International humanitarian work.
Main tasks and responsibilities
• To contribute to the development and implementation of the ON humanitarian programme, and to ensure that targets and strategic objectives are achieved in line with ON and Oxfam International strategic plans and the regional/national operational plans.
• To support relevant ON staff, OI and local partner organizations with humanitarian needs assessment, programme development and results-based management, as well as monitoring and evaluating the quality of the response as required in a context of chronic emergency and during emergency peaks, working in a team with relevant staff based in ON HQ and in Jerusalem.
• To provide ON and OI counterparts with programmatic support and technical advice, capacity assessment and capacity building in improving their programs in humanitarian response in the fields of health, food security and protection and especially to develop OI practices regarding accountability to beneficiaries and gender, working in a team with relevant staff based in ON HQ and in Jerusalem.
• To contribute to enhanced preparedness to respond to emergency peaks through humanitarian contingency planning under the lead of the ON Humanitarian Coordinator.
• To support the ON Humanitarian Coordinator in participating in relevant sector/cluster coordination meetings.
• To ensure that documentation relevant to the humanitarian program is archived appropriately, as needed to support the development of appropriate information & documentation, including identifying information from humanitarian programmes of ON’s local partner organizations that are relevant for strengthening Oxfam International advocacy and alerting media staff to possible new media angles and stories.
• To identify local and regional opportunities for funding and collaboration; in coordination with the fundraising team pro actively initiate and maintain contacts with donors.
Required skills and experience
• University degree in relevant area or proven experience at this level
• At least 5 years of work experience of which at least 3 years international experience, in humanitarian response work especially in a complex emergency, preferably with an NGO;
• Previous work experience in the OPT is an asset.
• Broad and extensive knowledge of relevant thematic areas: particularly humanitarian affairs and needs assessment; the latter with a focus on food security, public health, protection, emergency preparedness, response and humanitarian capacity building. Knowledge of IHL, Sphere, and gender issues is essential. Knowledge of linking relief rehabilitation and development (LRRD) as well as disaster risk reduction (DRR) are an asset.
• Experience and knowledge of project cycle management and financial management, including monitoring, technical and financial reporting is required.
• Good communication and coaching skills.
• A good team player.
• Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
• Experience managing ECHO grants is an asset.
The employee will be contracted by Oxfam Novib according to Dutch or Israeli labour legislation as required and additional allowances and insurances will be arranged.
Applications in writing including a motivation and a curriculum vitae with reference number 5-024 to (HR Dept.) Nanette.Schoenmakers@oxfamnovib.nl by no later than March 22nd, 2009.