for FSC-certified timber programme in Peru
The Amazon Alternative
TAA was started in 2009 as a joint initiative of FSC National Initiatives, timber- and forest companies, and civil society organizations in the Netherlands, Brazil, Peru and Bolivia, as well as the Dutch Government. The programme is one of the programmes of the Dutch Initiative on Sustainable Trade (IDH) that stimulate value chain development. The programme aims at an increase of 4 million ha of FSC certified natural forest in the coming 4 years and a yearly import of 100.000 m3 of certified timber to the Dutch market by 2013. Half of the total budget of some 13 million Euro is coming from IDH; the other half consists of contributions by timber companies, industries, traders, NGOs and other sponsors.
Now TAA is looking for a Programme Coordinator, with his/her own corporate entity (‘entidad legal’) who will be responsible for the realisation of the program targets in Peru (part time).
The Program Coordinator Peru is responsible for the development of the Peruvian part of programme and for the coordination of the implementation of its strategies, in order to realize the specific Peruvian targets: the FSC certification of at least an extra 1 million ha of natural Amazon Forest, as well as 0,2 million ha underway. The strategies consist of the involvement of private concession holders in FSC certified forest management; training of employees of companies/communiti es in technical and social aspects of certified forest management / Chain of Custody as well as Business Development; subsidies on certification costs; promotion of Lesser Known Species; marketing of FSC products in Peru and on an international level; brokering between Peruvian producers and Dutch timber importing companies; improvement of access to additional funding by financial institutions. These strategies will be implemented by the Peruvian participants within The Amazon Alternative and allies of the programme.
The Programme Coordinator Peru works in constant coordination with FSC Peru (CFPeru), as well as with the Programme Coordinators for Brazil and Bolivia, and with FSC-NL (responsible for development demand side of programme).
The Program Coordinator Peru responds to the Program Director, stationed in the Netherlands
– Identification and facilitation of coalitions of stakeholders (on national and international level) in order to generate synergies in capacity building, research, financing, brokering and lobby & advocacy.
– Assisting companies, social enterprises and NGOs to write proposals, within the framework of the programme, which are approved by the Program Director and/or other sponsors.
– Identification of additional actors crucial for the development of the program objectives in Peru.
– Facilitating the implementation of these proposals, by assisting participants (either directly or by identifying third parties), by promoting cooperation and by involving relevant other actors.
– Monitoring of contracts between TAA and its participants and propose adjustments if circumstances require this or if the project activities do not result in reaching the objectives set.
– Coordinate research and facilitate knowledge sharing on sector related themes and crosscutting issues by establishing regular internal exchange and learning sessions in collaboration with the stakeholders in the program.
– Contribute to development of new programme strategies.
– Provide input on planning, budgeting, performance, monitoring, capacity development and reporting package for the program as a whole.
– Preparation of medium and long term financial plans, as well as spending and cash flow forecasts.
– Actively assist in searching for fundraising opportunities for the various strategies developed by the programme.
Profile of the candidate
Knowledge and experience
– Has good knowledge of and experience in working within the private forestry sector in Peru and the private timber sector at national and international level (production, product development, marketing, market requirements) .
– Well connected within the commercial forestry and/or timber sector of Peru.
– Has a good understanding of and/or professional experience in FSC certification, and a vision regarding the development of this label in the Brazilian context.
– Experience in managing projects on both content and finances, experience in writing and monitoring business plans and demonstrated knowledge of PME systems
– Experience in cooperation and partnerships between private sector, forest and indigenous communities, civil society organisations and governmental institutions.
– Knowledge of development issues, change processes and North-South cooperation.
– Excellent language skills in both Spanish and English.
– Negotiation, facilitation and communication skills.
– Service oriented attitude
– Ability to work independently and not afraid to take the initiative.
– Discrete when dealing with commercially sensitive information
Willing to travel frequently in the region.
An interesting part-time (50%) job for 1 year with possible prolongation; in a dynamic environment with good possibilities for development of own capacities and initiative, and for combining a businesslike approach in combination with the social objectives of FSC.
Compensation to be negotiated, depending on experience and qualifications of the applicant. Contracting will be done by ICCO, who acts as administrator of TAA.
General information regarding the program you can find on www.sustainabletrade.com
Application and information