Information Services Division
Based in Lima, Peru
The Center for International Forestry Research advances human wellbeing, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to inform policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. We are one of 15 centres within the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, and we have offices in Asia, Africa and South America.
CIFOR is looking for a Regional Communications Officer, Latin America.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, Media Relations and Outreach Manager and the Regional Coordinator, the Regional Communications Officer leads the development, implementation, evaluation and continual improvement of CIFOR’s regional communication strategy for Latin America.
The Regional Communications Officer works with scientists to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of CIFOR’s overall investment in communication through effective planning and evaluation.
The post holder will play a leading role in the development of a regional communications strategy with the support of CIFOR’s technical experts. The post will be based at the International Potato Center near Lima, Peru, which is allied with CIFOR as part of the CGIAR. Consequently the post holder will need to demonstrate that they are capable of working effectively without day to day supervision.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop the Latin American elements of a multilingual CIFOR website
- Develop audience appropriate communications materials in multiple formats on our work in Latin America
- Liaise with media in the region to disseminate information on our research
- Build communication plans and budgets into regional research proposals and projects to enhance impact
- Support the integration of communication for development activities and knowledge management into projects and programmes
- Build the communication capacities of scientists and others in the region by arranging communication training and providing mentoring
- Evaluate the effectiveness of communication activities and recommend better approaches
Education, experience, technical skills and competencies
- Degree in communication or related discipline
- Fluency in English and at least one Latin American language, Spanish or Portuguese
- At least three years experience working in communication for a research facility or within the development sector
- Knowledge of Latin America communication networks
- Personal attributes and competencies
- Have initiative and capable of working independently as well as an effective team player
- Strong client service approach
- Ability to nurture new ways of doing things
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively and positively interact with people in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- Ability in personal organisation, planning, priority setting and managing multiple tasks
- Proven ability to work well under pressure
Terms and conditions
The remuneration for this post will reflect a competitive salary for the region.
The initial contract will be for 2 years with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of this position and available resources.
The position will be based in Lima, Peru.
The application deadline is 30 June 2010.
We will acknowledge all applications, but we will contact only short-listed candidates. Please send your letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees to:
Human Resources Department, CIFOR
Please indicate the position in the email subject line.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.