The European Forest Institute (EFI) is an international organisation established by European States. The Institute has its headquarters in Joensuu, Finland, several Regional Offices across Europe and a FLEGT office (Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and is establishing an office in Barcelona. The Communications Expert will be based at the EFI Policy Advice Office in Barcelona, Spain.
The EFI FLEGT and REDD Unit executes two Facilities: The EU FLEGT Facility and the EU REDD Facility. The Communications Team Leader is responsible for leading communication activities for both Facilities, supporting the European Commission, EU Member States and partner countries in communicating about FLEGT and REDD, and developing and managing a number of communication activities and products.
EFI’s EU FLEGT Facility supports the implementation of the FLEGT Action Plan of the European Union. The Facility is funded by the European Commission with co-funding from the Governments of the UK, the Netherlands, Finland, France and Germany. The Facility aims at having reforms adopted that improve forest governance and the functioning of timber markets, ensuring that illegal logging and associated trade which adversely affect the poor are adequately tackled.
EFI is currently setting up the EU REDD Facility, which will assist the EU and developing countries in preparing for the implementation of REDD schemes and arrangements.
To reinforce the FLEGT and REDD Communications Team, EFI will recruit a Communications Expert who will report to the Communications Team Leader of the FLEGT and REDD Unit.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Communications Expert will assist partner countries in the tropics to develop and implement appropriate communication strategies which will support the implementation of their FLEGT and REDD processes. The expert will assist in developing a comprehensive communications strategy for the EU FLEGT Action Plan and a more specific one for the EU FLEGT Facility. The task will also require working with relevant stakeholders in Europe and partner countries, including government, the private sector and NGOs. The Communications Expert will work under the leadership of the FLEGT-REDD Communications Team leader.
In particular s/he will:
- Advise and guide partner countries on how to develop and implement FLEGT and REDD communication strategies and on how to promote FLEGT-licensed timber.
- Advise and guide partner countries in multiple stakeholder and targetted messaging through the design and production of websites, radio programmes, mobile phone applications, and other traditional and new media for the dissemination of FLEGT/REDD.
- Advise and guide the EU on how to communicate FLEGT and the expected benefits to EU Member States and on how to promote FLEGT-licensed timber in Europe.
- Support the development of a comprehensive FLEGT communications strategy addressing communication needs in the EU and in partner countries, especially in view of the EU Illegal Timber Regulation and FLEGT timber entering the European market in the near future.
- Initiate, develop and actively contribute to the production of communication materials using various methods, including audio-visual, videos, etc.
- Establish and maintain a network of trade media contacts in Europe to disseminate relevant information products.
- Assist in designing, writing and publishing EFI FLEGT and REDD-related publications, including newsletters, information notes and other relevant documents.
- Work closely with the EFI HQ Communications Team.
- Preferably 8-10 years of relevant communications experience; experience involving developing countries and in a forest policy-related field will be a plus.
- Proven skills in the development and implementation of comprehensive, multimedia international communications strategies and tactics, and a track record for creative and strategic thinking and pragmatic problem solving.
- Experience and interest in all aspects of graphic/web design essential.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Experience in working in virtual teams will be a plus.
- Ability to empathize with diverse target groups.
- Excellent editorial and presentation skills.
- Fluent English speaker; superior French language skills essential.
- Masters degree in communication, journalism, international relations or a related subject. A specialized qualification in social science, forestry or natural resource management is considered an asset.
- Ability to work on complex and politically sensitive issues with governments, industry, NGOs and communities.
- Demonstrated ability of working in multi-disciplinary international teams and in multi-cultural environments.
Duty station and travel
The expert will be based in Barcelona, with frequent travelling in Europe and to FLEGT and REDD partner countries.
The expert will be an EFI staff member. The duration of employment will last until the end 2013. EFI offers competitive benefits and salary packages.