POSITION TITLE: External Relations Officer
REPORTS TO: Regional Associate Vice President
DATE: July 2011
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Prepare/assist in preparation of fund raising proposals and solicitations; assist with donor and foundation relationships, by:
- Working with regional staff and the grants team in the preparation of fund raising checklists and the drafting of concept papers, proposals and solicitations to various types of funders (individuals, foundations, governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs),
- Working with regional staff and the grants team to develop appropriate stewardship plans and processes to strengthen relationships with donors,
- Supporting World Neighbors Journeys program by working with the associate vice president resource development to develop trip calendar, itineraries and materials; coordinating all activities with local travel operators.
2. Track donor/foundation requirements and drafting reports, by:
- Working with the grants team to ensure donors receive required reports in a timely fashion,
- Working with the regional management team to draft year-end reports and submitting reports to the regional associate vice president.
3. Prepare annual fund raising plan by working with the regional management team and grants team in:
- Developing regional revenue projections,
- Identifying current and prospective donors,
- Tracking progress toward revenue projections.
4. Take the lead in the documentation of regional program activities, including managing the process of gathering stories and photos from program areas, by:
- Coordinating with regional and country staff in compiling photos and stories to send to the marketing & communications associate at least every quarter,
- Relaying to the marketing & communications associate any current news and events from the program areas or regional office,
- Documenting program processes, outcomes and impact.
5. Manage public and media relations duties, by:
- Coordinating with marketing and communications coordinator on the preparation of a strategic media relations plan for organizational opportunities in order to raise public visibility, recognition and support in key markets within the U.S. and internationally,
- Developing and cultivating key contacts with media outlets (specifically reporters) in the region, relaying media opportunities to the marketing & communications coordinator as they arise,
- Identifying opportunities for members of the local press to visit programs.
6. Manage and oversee writing, editing and production of marketing materials, including working with local printers and designers, by:
- Writing and editing key public information pieces in print and electronic formats, such as newsletter articles, brochures and audiovisual materials,
- Securing relationships with vendors, such as graphic designers, printers, promotional companies, etc.
- Providing supplemental graphic design support as needed.
7. Perform other duties as requested by immediate supervisor.
- Good oral and written communication
- Proficiency in English, Spanish, and local language
- Computer – Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Budget and financial management
- Group facilitation
- Master’s degree/post-graduate or equivalent with 3 years of experience
- Professional degree or equivalent with 6 years experience
- Management experience working with NGOs, community—based organizations (CBOs), networks, etc.
- Participatory rural development experience
- Experience in marketing and communication, public relations, fund raising, grant writing, donor relations
- Specific work experience relevant to position
- Experience managing teams
- Normal office environment
- Some field travel to rural areas in countries within the region where WN works under challenging circumstances; current passport required.